Lincoln County
IDGenWeb

Histories

1914 History of Lincoln County

The history of Lincoln county runs back through that of Alturas and Logan. Old Alturas had, it would seem, more than its share of mutilation and hardships. First, in 1881, it lost quite a section in the creation of Custer county. Then on February 7, 1889, Elmore and Logan counties were taken from it bodily, leaving to Alturas only a small part of its original domain.

Logan county had for its southern boundary the Snake river. Bellevue. which was its county seat, was situated near its northern line. The contentions and litigation that were caused by the division of Alturas and the adjustment of the county indebtedness, led in 1895 to a complete change, which resulted in the creation of Lincoln county out of a part of Logan county, and the organization of Blaine county from the balance of Logan and Alturas. The earliest incidents of Alturas county are connected with mining and are set out under Blaine county. The principal mining region lies north of the Lincoln county line.

As to its geological formation, Lincoln county lies wholly within the great lava plains of the Snake river. The surface is generally rather level instead of mountainous, but m parts is broken and creased by the flow of lava that once crossed the entire country in this portion of Idaho.

Big Wood and Little Wood rivers are the chief streams of the county. At the time of its creation the Snake river formed the southern boundary of Lincoln county, but since the creation of Gooding and Minidoka counties, this river forms only a small portion of its boundary. In the past this section was a favorite winter range. Stock, which summered in the hills and mountains to the north, would, on approach of winter, be driven to the Snake river valley, where the climate was usually mild and the snowfall light.

In places the lava rock outcrops, but for the most part Lincoln county possesses lands of exceptional fertility. In past years small tracts were brought under cultivation. Lands adjacent to the Big and Little Wood rivers were watered from those streams. Some tracts lying near the Snake river were covered by the water that rises from the fissures and cracks in the great ledges of lava that lie above them. These lands were planted almost exclusively to alfalfa and feed, as the preeminent industry of this region was sheep-raising.

By the efforts of individuals and of small companies probably fifty thousand acres of the rich lands of Lincoln county were brought under water and much of this acreage cultivated. Then came the great irrigation projects. One of the first of these was the Twin Falls Land and Water Company, which contemplated the reclamation of thirty thousand acres in the southeastern part of what was then Lincoln county. The government commenced its great enterprise, known as the Minidoka project, which, in the spring of 1908, furnished water for seventy thousand acres.

In 1909, so rapidly had this county advanced in irrigation, the following segregations were named: The North Side Twin Falls Irrigation Company expected the following season to water one hundred and eighty thousand acres and had applied for thirty thousand additional acres; the Mullins Canal Company had ten thousand acres; the Idaho Irrigation Company included one hundred and sixty thousand acres; making, with the seventy thousand acres belonging to the government project, a total of four hundred and fifty thousand acres, all of which projects, except the Minidoka, were established under the Carey Act. Three years later the acreage in Lincoln county on which water could actually be applied was stated as being 472,495, which at the time exceeded the amount in any one county in the state. But Lincoln county can no longer lay claim to this leading position. The creation of Minidoka from the east and southeast, and the cutting off of Gooding county on the west have greatly reduced Lincoln's territory, not only in gross area but in some of the best of these irrigated lands.

Conservative figures that have been secured on average production show that Lincoln county compares most favorably with other sections of the state. Alfalfa yields about four tons to the acre. These figures, as elsewhere in the county statistics, are averages. The heavy yields of from seven to ten tons an acre are realized in many places. In all the grains Lincoln county ranks high, and in the year that the corn yield w-as carefully computed, Lincoln stood second in the state, with an average of thirty-five bushels to the acre.

A comparison of the statistics on the livestock industries during the past years indicates that Lincoln county, with many others, is steadily progressing toward higher standards of breeding stock and along lines which lead to the greater profits to be derived from diversified interests. The great bands of sheep are not so large as formerly, but in the numbers of horses, dairy cattle, and especially hogs, there is a marked increase.

Lincoln county's present area is estimated to be 1,625 square miles, which is something less than half its former domain. The organization of Godding and Minidoka counties occurred so recently that there are available no figures as to the present population.

In railroad development, Lincoln county has been among the favored parts of the state. The Oregon Short Line traverses it from east to west. As soon as the main line reached Shoshone, the branch to Ketchum was constructed, so that from the early '80s this county has had transportation advantages. The branch road from Bliss to Rupert crosses the southern part of Lincoln.

Along the railroads are many little towns and hamlets. The oldest settlement in the county is Shoshone, which is also the county scat and principal business point. It appears among the towns and cities of Idaho.

In that part of the Snake river canyon which borders Lincoln county are found among the choicest scenic features of Idaho and its crowning glory — Shoshone Falls. These falls are often referred to as the Niagara of the West, but, except as both are among the finest of such phenomena found in the whole world, the comparison is misleading, as they are not of the same type. An adequate description of Shoshone has not yet been written, but elsewhere in this history the facts concerning it are given. Above Shoshone Falls a few miles are Twin Falls, and below about the same distance are the beautiful Blue lakes.


Contributed 2025 Oct 03 by Norma Hass, extracted from 1914 History of Idaho by Hiram T. French, pages 209-210.

Town History Briefs

Shoshone located on the Oregon Short line Railroad is one of the oldest towns in the Magic Valley, and has had several different names, known as Big Bottoms by cowboys who drove cattle from the Wood River country to the Snake River plains, In 1881 as a little settlement located on the Little Wood River it was known as Naples or Junction City and later named Shoshone (meaning "Great Spirit" in the Indian language.) The growth of Shoshone grew in 1878 and 1879 when silver and lead was discovered. Following on February 7 1883 construction of the railroad and a telegraph was also implemented into this little town which led Shoshone to grow and prosper, In 1883 "The Shoshone Rustler" newspaper was printed. The first permanent jail was built in the late 1890's. Shoshone became the County seat and their court house was built in 1904 which still serves the county.

Early Churches- Episcopal Church constructed in 1902, Roman Catholic Church began building in 1885, Baptist Church organized in 1896 and dedicated in 1901, Methodist Church organized in 1883.

Early businesses (Partial)- A.S. Senter Clothing Store built in 1899, Boston Cafe, C. F. Borden Lumber Company, Columbia Hotel built in 1895, Dewey House Hotel built in 1884, Dr. Charles Dill Hospital, McFall Hotel, Purdum & Purdum Livery and Fee. Shoshone Laundry, Roessler Drilling, Stock Growers Mercantile, Shoshone Livery Stable, Wernicke Hardware Store.

Ranches sprung up consisting of cattle and sheep which brought in many cowboys and Basque sheep herders. Miners would pass through on their way to the Wood River Mines. The railroad also brought in workers which all helped the economy of this small town.

Dietrich town site plat was filed with Lincoln county in 1909, named after Frank S. Dietrich a prominent attorney who later became a judge. The 25000 area tract was to be irrigated by canal water from the Magic Reservoir which caused speculators to jumped at the chance to buy land to farm. The Idaho Irrigation Company promoted the Dietrich Tract and began building a Hotel consisting of 45 rooms and a model farm next to the railroad tracks. In 1910 the small town was booming with lumber yards, livery stables, mercantile stores and fuel and ice companies. A community water system and water tower with fire hydrants had been constructed. A lava rock three story school was completed in 1913.

Farming the Dietrich area was hard and many crops failed due to the dryness of the climate, droughts and inefficient surface irrigating. Crops were eaten by jack rabbits and farmers often held a jack rabbit drive killing hundreds. Many residents gave up and moved to other locations. Finally sprinkler irrigating technology arrived so farming became productive and profitable.

Richfield (earlier named Alberta in June 1907 changed to Richfield in Oct 1, 1908 ) Richfield was incorporated in 1909 and in 1913 a city well was dug. The town consisted of five dwellings, Alberta Hotel, the Burton livery, two stores, shacks for the lumber yard, the bank and office building. The first school was opened in the fall of 1907, In 1912 enrollment was 85 pupils and hot lunches was offered in 1913. In 1911 horse racing on the streets was halted and in 1914 speed limit for motor vehicles was 12 miles a hour.

Early Churches- Catholic Church later became the Community Church in 1912, Methodist Church organized in 1909

Early businesses (Partial)- General store, Alberta Mercantile Co., Lemmon Bros. Hardware established in 1910, Blacksmith shop, First State Bank.


Genealogy Web Templates
This page was last updated 10/03/2025